- This event has passed.
Part 1 of 2: Plastic Free Mersey Citizen Scientist training – online
October 15 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
We are conducting online and onsite training sessions. To register for the next sessions please email John Sanders ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ (cc-ing Luca Marazzi ‘email@example.com’).
Following the training you will be linked up with a Mersey Rivers Trust project officer who will help you identify a suitable survey site and support you to start monthly surveys with a local group.
Is the Mersey your local river?
Thames21 and Mersey Rivers Trust are embarking on an ambitious project called Plastic Free Mersey. Part of the work is to monitor plastic pollution and better understand the health of the River Mersey.
Anyone can get involved by taking this short citizen scientist training and taking part in surveying plastic waste for just a couple of hours each month.
This two part training course will provide non-experts the knowledge and tools to safely collect robust data on plastic and other litter found on riverbanks and foreshores in the Mersey catchment. This contributes to a better understanding of potential sources and pathways of this litter as well as the physical removal of this litter from waterways in the Mersey catchment.
Trained citizen scientists will become part of a local group of volunteers taking action to help improve the health of the Mersey. As well as carrying out surveys they can also volunteer to get other people involved and excited about learning more about the nature on their doorstep.
Part 1 – online
This session includes:
- An introduction to the Plastic Free Mersey Project
- Learning about pollution problems in urban rivers
- How to carry out a plastic litter survey
- Water safety and other common waterway hazards
- How to join a litter monitoring group
- Key messages for motivating other people
Part 2 – in person
This session includes:
- Carrying out a plastic monitoring survey following a specific method
- Practical aspects of assessing the site specific hazards and risks of working by rivers
- Practical water safety precautions
- Reflection/ evaluation of the survey
- Understanding causes and possible solutions to plastic in waterways
How to sign up
If you live or work in or near the River Mersey and would like to get involved in improving the river’s health then this is the course for you. For any questions or to request a registration form for the course please email John Sanders ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ (cc-ing Luca Marazzi ‘email@example.com’).