All our events and activities are open to communities.
Corporate groups, please book with Thames21 using our corporate volunteering page
- This event has passed.
Action for Silk Stream Vital Signs for Healthy Rivers Training
9th September 2023 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Would you like to be able to identify the vital signs of a river and understand how to ‘health check’ your local river?
Thames21 is running this course in the Brent Catchment in September.
Trainee’s that complete this course will:
- have a greater understanding of what affects the health of a river beyond the visible litter pollution.
- take part in a site-scoping exercise and learn about how river restoration work has been improving the watercourse.
- find out how you can help monitor river health by joining citizen science initiatives run by Thames21 and our partners.
This course offers an introduction into what makes a river healthy with a focus on the physical processes and structure (hydro-morphology) of a river and the functional habitat (ecology) that the river and its surrounding area provides.
The course content will be linked to river restoration works that Thames21 is delivering in the Brent Catchment as part of the Action for Silk Stream project.
This is a two part course –
- 2-3 hours in-person classroom based
- 2-3 hours practical walk to explore some of the vital signs of a healthy river. We will be wading in the river itself (weather permitting)