All our events and activities are open to communities.
Corporate groups, please book with Thames21 using our corporate volunteering page
London Rivers Week 2022: Navigating The Lee Upstream
July 15 @ 11:00 am - 2:30 pm
Get active and navigate the Lee Valley upstream with Lee Valley Regional Park Authority.
This event will start at Tottenham Marshes and follow the Lee upstream.
This is sure to be a fun event.
This week’s walk in the park leads you along a linear route from the busyness of Tottenham Hale to quieter waterways and towpaths that follow the Lee Navigation northwards to Waltham Cross. This stretch of river was chosen for this walk by one of our volunteers in celebration of Thames 21 London Rivers Week.
Walkers will see barges of different shapes and sizes, spot wetland wildlife, learn about the history of the area and witness the industrial developments that are continuing today.
This walk is one of our longest and has a mid-point where walks can stop for lunch before carrying on for the second half. Walkers will have the option to head home at the halfway point at Ponders End Lock if they would prefer a shorter walk. The finish point is Lee Valley White Water Centre in Waltham Cross. However, walkers will have the opportunity to catch the train home at several other points along the route if they do not want to walk the whole route, we can direct you to the nearest train station.
- The full length of this walk is 13km (8 miles) and can take around 5 hours (which includes plenty of time for a lunch break at the halfway point at Ponders End Lock). If you decide that you do not wish to complete the whole walk, you will have the opportunity to catch the train home at the halfway point or at several other points along the route, we can direct you to the nearest train station.
- Part of this walk is along unsurfaced footpaths and is not suitable for wheelchairs or buggies.
- The majority of this walk is next to water
- The meeting point for this walk is Tottenham Hale train station
- What3words: ///hulk.heads.sang
- Post code: N17 9NA
> Please bring water and a packed lunch
> Wear suitable clothing and footwear for the walk
> Please refer to the weather forecast for the day of your walk and bring suitable clothing such as rain jacket or sun cream
> Dogs are allowed but must be kept on a lead
By car: This walk follows a linear route and is walking distance from a national rail train line so we recommend parking at one of the train stations along the route (parking charges apply).
By train: we are meeting outside Tottenham Hale train station.
By bus: Transport for London buses operate from outside Tottenham Hale train station.
Time: Walkers have the option of doing 5 hours or 2.5hours depending on if they do the whole route with Lea Valley Regional Park Authority or not. Start time 11am.
London Rivers Week is a partnership campaign run through London Rivers Restoration Group, a sub-group of the Catchment Partnerships in London.