All our events and activities are open to communities.
Corporate groups, please book with Thames21 using our corporate volunteering page
- This event has passed.
River Action: Chinbrook Meadows Wetland Creation Project
June 25 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Join us any time between 10am and 2pm on Saturday 25th June for practical volunteering activities in the River Quaggy and to learn more about the planned Chinbrook Meadows Sustainable Urban Drainage System (SUDS) Project, which will see the diversion of Grove Park Ditch through a series of newly created wetland ponds to bring about a number of benefits including the improvement of the water quality of the ditch and subsequently the River Quaggy as the ditch feeds into the Quaggy. Sign up via Time to Spare: https://book.timetospare.com/e/pDVKcK5LluSjAHcSHV5G
Depending on several factors including site conditions on the day, activities will include:
- Urban Riverfly Monitoring – we’ll do a quick river dip to see what animals are living in this section of the river. This is a good indicator of river health and gives us a chance to collect some rough aquatic invertebrate species data. More info can be found here.
- Water Quality Testing – we are hoping to take some water samples to understand the quality of the water here before the wetlands are created.
- Litter Pick – if there is time and if there is litter present, we will pick up rubbish near the river and bag it properly.
We are hoping to be based south of the railway line, here: https://w3w.co/leaned.grapes.tuck (coordinates: 51.427002, 0.026977); however if you can’t find us there we will be north of the railway line, near here: https://w3w.co/hopes.skinny.dirt (coordinates: 51.428781, 0.027021).
Other things to know:
- Everyone is welcome! Parental supervision required for children under 16 years old
- Wear weather-appropriate and comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting a bit mucky – don’t forget suncream and hats if the sun’s out or a raincoat if it might rain
- Bring a bottle of water
- Bring some snacks/lunch if you’d like to but there is a small café in the park that should be open
- The café also has toilets, which should be open from 11am. If not, there are unisex accessible toilets at Grove Park station (a 10 minute walk away)
- Spaces are limited, sign up via Time to Spare: https://book.timetospare.com/e/pDVKcK5LluSjAHcSHV5G
Any questions, please feel free to contact Philly Nicholls: firstname.lastname@example.org, 07568 226407