All our events and activities are open to communities.
Corporate groups, please book with Thames21 using our corporate volunteering page
River Action: Montrose Playing Fields
June 17 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Get your hands dirty to make your river cleaner!
Montrose Playing Fields, by the Tramshed
Join us for practical conservation work on the Silk Stream in Montrose Playing Fields! Depending on how the site is on the day we’ll be doing the following river work:
- Urban Riverfly Monitoring – we’ll do a quick river dip to see what’s living in that section of river. It’s a good indicator of river health and gives us chance to collect some rough species data. More info here.
- Balsam Bashing – Himalayan Balsam is an invasive non-native species and spreads along riverbanks very easily. In early summer, before they have seeded you can pull these out to stop the spread. More info here.
- River Clean-up – most sites will have some litter in them so we’ll be sure to pull out as much as we can.
Things to know:
- Wear weather appropriate, comfortable clothing
- We will provide tools, wellies and waders (where needed)
- Bring a bottle of water
- Everyone welcome, some of the work is physical and in a river but there should be something for everyone
- The café toilets should be open, if not the nearest toilets are Asda (a 10 minute walk away)
- Spaces are limited, sign up via the Time to Spare app:
Any questions contact Oli: email@example.com, 07597 577 793